Monday, January 06, 2020

Chewbacca 2.0


From this angle, you can understand why it's so hard for a pike to resist!
The rebirth of the awesome fly was long due. I tied this fly for the first time 8/10 years ago, it was my pride, the first fly that i fully designed myself.When i started to fly fish and tie my flies for pike, rabbit was on every flies i was tying. You don't need to be a maestro at fly tying to catch pike, and a simple bunny has caught me sooo many fishes.
Chewbacca was an extension to my bunny army, as i got better with my casting i started throwing bigger and heavier flies with ease.So what's better than a bunny? Well two of them!I didn't invent the concept of having two zonkers as a tail, but i wanted a more buoyant fly. So the mix of deer hair and feathers started.At the time i tied this fly with deer hair on the top of the hook and marabou on the bottom.The pikes liked it so much that they were destroyed in no time, so i replaced the marabou for fibres.


The new version is articulated and has dumbbell eyes to give the fly more action during the pauses.
Yes it's a heavy fly , but it's a fly that i usually don't try to cast far and in open waters. I love casting Chewy in rivers with shorter cast close to ambush points. Logs, drains, weed beds and along high banks are all great spots to throw this fly.I faster water i just let it drift along the bank rod tip a little high and just twitching it with sharp wrist pulls. Keeping my eyes on it at all time, from just under the surface until you can barely see it.The takes are just amazing!
As usual feel free to change colours and  sizes, yellow zonkers and a orange head is an other sure bet for me here.

No comments:

Post a Comment